Mold & Moisture Frequently Asked Questions

Molds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Mold is not usually a problem, unless it begins growing indoors. The best way to control mold growth is to control moisture. 

Can mold cause health problems?

Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.

How do I get rid of mold?

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, the mold and water problem must be fixed. If the mold is cleaned up, but the water problem is not, then, most likely, the mold problem will return.


Some Key factors to remember:

  1. The key to mold control is moisture control.
  2. If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem.
  3. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

Seven things you should know about mold.

  1. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
  2. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
  3. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:

  • Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside.
  • Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers.
  • Increasing ventilation.
  • Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning

       4.  Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent             materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.

       5.  Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces             (Example; windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.

       6.  In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting.

       7.  Molds can be found almost anywhere; they grow on virtually any substance, providing             moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.


What is the difference between Mold and Mildew?

Mildew refers to certain kinds of mold or fungus.  The term mildew is often used generically to refer to mold growth, usually with a flat growth habit.

Molds include all species of microscopic fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments, called hyphae.  Molds can thrive on any organic matter, including clothing, leather, paper, and the ceilings, walls and floors of homes with moisture management problems. Mildew often lives on shower walls, windowsills, and other places where moisture levels are high. There are many species of molds. In unaired places, such as basements, they can produce a strong musty odor. 

On the surface of a wall the mold may be bad, just imagine how worse it can be underneath.

(Please refer to our gallery "Mold/ Moisture Concerns" pictures.)